January 5, 2008

Christmas 2007

This year when I asked the kids to write their letters to Santa listing what they wanted, my ulterior motive was to have a list to give to Peepaw and Granma. It proved helpful with Cole and Annalisa's lists, but my Jacob does have a great imagination! He not only asked for the Lamborghini that he could drive, but as I mentioned in an earlier blog, he was also dead-set on Super Powers! He didn't care which ones, he just wanted Super Powers! Sadly, that is not something that Santa delivered to our house on Christmas Eve, but I honestly don't think he even noticed because the only thing he mentioned that he didn't get was a bike---you know, one of the "last minute, 3 days before Christmas" add-ons to the Christmas list! We got to spend the days leading up to Christmas with Peepaw and Granma, and the kids really enjoyed the time with them. It snowed and the wind was FREEZING, but still we went out and enjoyed the town. On Christmas Eve we had a special service at our church, and aside from me allowing my kids to hold those tiny candles and get wax dripped on their little hands, thus burning them during the singing of Silent Night (it wasn't silent anymore!) it was very good! Hey, at least they didn't catch their hair on fire while their Grandaddy was praying---Jeffrey!!! On Christmas Eve Ben and I were sleeping on a cot and the couch in the living room (because we were nice enough to give up our bed to our poor old parents) and Annalisa informed us that if Santa came down the chimney we were not to talk to him or acknowledge him in any way or else she wouldn't get presents. Man, that was difficult since I have been waiting all my life to see the guy in action, but I kept my eyes closed and slept! Before we went to bed, Cole wrote a message in the snow that said "Santa, stop here!" and I think Annalisa put her name in the snow too so Santa would know who he was stopping for! Now, when we were kids we woke up early and counted the minutes until 6:00 a.m. which was when mom and dad would wake up.....but my kids have never done that. They have slept as late as 8:00 on Christmas morning, and even though I am sometimes up before that I have never had a problem going back to sleep so they can rest. But this year, Dad and Lynn were up around 5 getting their showers and stuff, and at 5:45 I went to check on the kids, who were still sleeping soundly. I said to myself that I had a good hour and half to 2 hours before they would get up, and went back to sleep. Exactly 15 minutes later they were ALL by the tree with Peepaw and Granma looking at everything and still trying to wake up--they had a little extra help getting up so early! We did the birthday cake for Jesus and then opened presents. During the opening of presents we realized that it was SNOWING! I knew we would have a white Christmas because there was already snow on the ground, but we had an ACTUAL "it's snowing!" white Christmas!! It was beautiful! We took Dad and Lynn back to the airport after lunch and said our good-byes, and all of the kids were asleep in the car before we got there!

1 comment:

Mike said...

1. Who are you calling OLD?!?!?
2. It's not my fault your kids granddad doesn't pray as long as your granddad, so your kids are in no danger of catching their hair on fire from me. Just melting their precious little hands b/c of their momma!
3. So, you're saying us getting them up early is the reason they needed a nap? Is that why you wouldn't answer your phone when we needed you at the airport? Hhhhmmmm?